Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Delicious Websites

Potluck #51: Holidays and Cooking Recipes - Oh My!
I have always thought of Bon Appetit magazine as being too gourmet for my cooking tastes. After looking over this website, I am pleasantly impressed that it provides recipes for dishes my family will enjoy. The Beef and Bacon Meatloaf especially stands out as a guaranteed hit:

1 12-ounce red onion, coarsely diced
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 1/4 pounds ground beef (10% fat)
1/2 cup ketchup, divided
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
7 slices thick-cut bacon, 5 coarsely chopped, 2 halved crosswise
4 slices white sandwich bread, torn into pieces
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preparation
Preheat oven to 400°F. Blend onion and garlic in processor until onion is finely chopped. Transfer to large bowl; add beef, 1/4 cup ketchup, and next 3 ingredients.
Add chopped bacon and bread to processor. Using on/off turns, blend until bread is chopped. Scrape mixture into bowl with beef. Add parsley; stir gently to blend well. Transfer mixture to 9x5x3-inch metal loaf pan. Arrange bacon-slice halves crosswise atop meat, spacing apart and tucking edges down sides of loaf. Spoon remaining ketchup between bacon slices. Bake meatloaf until cooked through and meat comes away from sides of pan, about 1 hour. Let rest 10 to 15 minutes. Slide spatula under 1 end of meatloaf. Tilt pan; slide loaf out onto platter. Slice and serve.


It also sounds like good fare to serve to family or friends. Although few of our Iowa relatives every seem inclined to come this far south in the winter, in a dreamstate I picture myself with a houseful of company. This leads me to wonder how my ingredients would increase should I need to prepare 20 servings. I tried this recipe on Recipe Ingredient Conversion Calculator (which interestingly links to "Fruit from Washington." I was amazed how easy and fast it was to come up with a conversion for 20 servings.

Recipe Adjustment Factor is 5 Times Original Amounts (Original Amounts in parentheses.)

Beef and Bacon Meatloaf
5 12 ounces red onion
15 larges garlic cloves
6.25 pounds ground beef
2 1/2 cups ketchup
10 larges eggs
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
35 slicess bacon
20 slicess bread 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons parsley

Recipe from Bon Appetit.com

No comments: